Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Shaken, not stir fried.

I declared a day off for myself today and vegged with a book, a CSI marathon and too much chocolate. Dinner needed to be off the cuff and something guaranteed not to strain my brain too much. So I went for a quick and easy stir fry. It's something that can be made out of almost any combo of meat/no meat and veggies and rice/noodles and it's quick to prep and cook. Tonight's stir fry was thinly sliced chicken, with broccoli, carrots and onions tossed with a garlic, ginger and soy sauce marinade served over rice. Sounds impressive, yes? In reality, I had it all chopped and sliced and diced in about the same amount of time its going to take me to write this post. And it cooked in about the same amount of time. Major flaws in tonight's dinner included me not putting enough water in the rice, so it was a little crunchy and not cutting the soy sauce with enough water, so the dish was a little salty. Maybe I melted a few too many brain cells with the CSI marathon.

As for the family, no one openly complained and Bill actually likes stir fry, I think. The kids at least at the rice and voluntarily ate a veggie or two. I'm pretty sure I saw Emma eat a bite of chicken, as well. She complained that it was too sour, which is her complaint when she knows a food is too something, but isn't sure what. And she was right, it was a little too salty.

Overall, I was just thrilled that I didn't hear any moans, groans or protests of "Yuck! I don't like that!" even if it wasn't the best dinner I've ever put on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment